Wednesday, January 16, 2008

It's the state of mind

Capturing the Ambiance

People are not just drawn into not by the length or width of a room. With homes, we like to relate ourselves with that setting. One can have an expensive home for sale but if the images does not relate to the viewer then it is likely that he/she (mostly a she thing) would pass on it. So for me, it is always a good idea to discuss with the realtor or owner what are the good points of the home, what makes it so livable, and what to areas to avoid.

In general, I like to add a touch of warmth to my interior images.
It projects a cozy feeling especially when it is cold outside. They are many ways in doing this. From warming filters, to coloured gel for the flash but for me, I use Photoshop's filters. It's simple and easy to use.

In these examples, I want the viewer to instantly have an impression that they'd like to relax on that couch by the fireplace... maybe read a book while listening to the bird chirping at the forest behind.


Bathrooms can be notoriously cold in feeling thanks to the tiles shiny shower
stalls and faucets. Space can be challenging too. I generally take my time and walk around the bathroom to identify what areas best capture a sense of coziness. Instead of showing the counter-top and shower stall, the image shows a soaker tub with a window and a glass sky- window with lights streaming in. Afterall, counter-tops and toilet bowls are likely standard items in a typical bathrooms. And I personally find images with a toilet bowl a turn-off when it comes to bathrooms photos.














The image on the left gives the impression of grandeur as one walks out the lobby towards a nice bright sunny day. I took multiple exposures to create an HDR image so that tonal qualities for both the darker lobby interior and bright park exterior can be exposed harmoniously. More on HDR photography at another time.

No comments: