Wednesday, March 30, 2011

2011 Vancouver International Autoshow

Just got back from the Media Preview at the 2011 Vancouver International Autoshow. This year, the event is held at the Vancouver Convention Centre by Coal Harbour. What a stunning view! Next to it is the Olympic Couldron.

Different from last year, a breakfast was served instead of lunch. I think it's a great idea to fuel up before walking the large exhibition area for presentations.



For 2011, the key agenda is about Electric Car. Two cars - Mitsubishi iMIEV and Nissan Leaf were the highlights.







Nissan's Leaf is a full electric car. I don't really know what's with the Polar Bear's relationship with Nissan Canada Boss - Ian Forsythe. However what caught my attention and subsequent gasp of disbelieve is the Leaf's MSRP. At about $38,000 the Leaf which resembles the Nissan Versa isn't chump change for those looking for gas cost reprieve. Maybe another car for the Brad Clooney people.









The car that got my attention the most is the re-imagined legendary Fiat 500!
This tiny spunky car has 101hp from it's 1.4l engine. I love it's retro-cuteness!
I think it will be a hot car for those young yuppies looking for something different than a MINI and want more style than a Ford Fiesta/Mazda2.









The Italian Fiat 500s will be sold at your local.... Chrysler dealership.


Best presentation of all the car manufactures if you ask me. But I might be biased.
















Another small car introduction is from Hyundai. Called the Veloster.
I was told it will be at the dealership showroom in July 2011 as a 2012 Model Year. Confused?
I believe it has around 140hp and a starting MSRP of CDN$20,xxx.
Speaking with the Western Regional Manager, this car is one level above the Accent and will appeal to the younger sporty crowds. VW GTi or Mazda 3 competition?
 
The Hyundai Veloster has a interesting door concept. While the driver's side has the traditional coupe door, the passenger side as a rear B-pillar hinged door for rear access.
Reminds me of a certain car from the now defunct Saturn.
How will the public take to this design remains to be seen.

















The big draw is of course the Lexus LF-A. Virtually every auto-journos descended upon it with their cameras as it was unveiled. What can I say. The web has enough info about it. So I will leave you with a few snapshot of this super-Lexus.



And that's it! The Vancouver Autoshow is going on now from March 29th to April 3rd, 2011.
The venue at the Vancouver Convention Centre is great. Beautiful views, no ramps to go up and down the concourse unlike BC Place! I hope this is the new home for this event.



For more of my photos of this event head on to 2011 YVR Autoshow.

No comments: